Andra Duncan has been a board certified music therapist since 2010. She completed her undergraduate degree in music performance from Ouachita Baptist University in Arkansas. During her time at OBU, Andra studied abroad for a semester at Salzburg College in Salzburg, Austria. She completed her music therapy equivalency at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California. She is presently a candidate to complete her thesis for the Master of the Arts degree in Music Therapy from UOP.
After completing her Music Therapy internship at the Exempla Colorado Lutheran Home, a residential care community for the elders, Andra went on to work for over four years at Eldercare Alliance communities in the San Francisco Bay Area of California. Accordingly, Andra specializes in Music Therapy in geriatrics and is certified in the “I’m Still Here” approach to memory care as well as a Certified Eden Alternative Associate.
Currently Andra is focused on working with children, adults, and older adults with neurodevelopmental disabilities, psychiatric disorders, and learning disabilities. She truly enjoys this population and is looking forward to serving the clients at MDS! Additionally she is a Certified Laughter Yoga Leader and enjoys incorporating laughter into her music therapy sessions whenever appropriate.
- Ouachita Baptist University, B.M. Musical Theatre
- Salzburg College, International Study Abroad Program
- University of the Pacific, Music Therapy Equivalency, M.A. Music Therapy (Thesis Candidate)
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) - Member
- Illinois Association for Music Therapists (IAMT) - Executive Board Member (2016 - 2017)
- Sigma Alpha Iota
- Theta Alpha Phi
- Dementia & Aging
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- My pets (dog & bunny)
- Musical Theatre
- Listening to podcasts
- Collecting vinyls